For those of you who are looking for a unique Bluetooth speaker that is both portable and has voice control features – check out the Amazon Tap speaker. Powered by Alexa software, this innovative battery powered speaker has the ability to sync with smart home devices, and can connect via both Wi-Fi as well as Bluetooth.
Features: What’s new?
The Amazon Tap Speaker is the latest in the line of Echo devices from Amazon. The earlier two releases were Amazon Echo and Amazon Dot. Amazon’s digital assistant Alexa provides a seamless voice control on Amazon Tap, which is unmatched by any other – including Apple’s Siri. Amazon Tap has a plethora of features available.
Amazon Tap is an amazing smart home controller. Almost all home automation product can be controlled via Amazon Tap. It interfaces very quickly with smart home devices like SmartThings as well as Nest.
This compact device boasts of dual stereo speakers that deliver amazing sound quality due to its Dolby processing. Its 360° omnidirectional audio provides crisp vocals as well as extended bass response.
With of weight of just 16.6 oz, Amazon Tap device is perfect for toting from one place to another. The design is both aesthetically appealing as well as practical.
The positioning of Tap button is done in such a manner that makes it quite easy to find even in the dark. The classic, as well as vibrant colors available for the device, is guaranteed to suit everyone’s taste.
This powerful speaker can be used for streaming music over Wi-Fi by integrating with various apps like Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn. When connected via Bluetooth, it can be used for playing the music from iTunes as well. The powerful voice command feature helps access the required music by speaking just a simple sentence like ‘Play John Legend from Spotify’.
Amazon Tap speaker has a multitude of other functions available. Alexa has been thrown open for developers, making its skill section grow in leaps and bounds. Some of the uses include
- Setting timers
- Getting information about weather
- Reporting scores
- Calling Uber
- Ordering Pizzas
- Making a shopping list
- Listening to latest news
- Opening garage using Garageio
- Listening to audio books
You can check out the pricing and availability of Amazon Tap speaker here.
Following are the technical specifications of Amazon Tap
- Size: Size of the device is 6 mm x 65.6 mm x 65.6 mm and weighs 470 grams (16.6 oz) , while that of the charging cradle is 15.3 mm x 65.6 mm x 65.6 mm and weighs 109 grams (3.8 oz)
- Battery Life: After full charge, battery lasts for approximately 9 hours of playback
- Wi-Fi Support: Any public or private Wi-Fi networks are supported by the device. In the case of mobile hotspots, Amazon Tap supports the ones that use 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard.
- Bluetooth: Both AVRCP as well as A2DP support, except for Mac OSX devices.
- Audio Bass extension: Provided by dual passive radiators as well as dual 1.5-inch drivers
- Accessories: The device comes with charging cradle as well as microUSB cable and adapter.
Pros and Cons
Listed below are the pros and cons of Amazon Tap speaker
- Battery operated, making it convenient as well as portable
- No false positives when speaking the word Alexa without pressing the button
- Huge and expanding list of skills
- Easy to set up as well as use
- Hands-free option is not available
- Sporadic issues with Wi-Fi connectivity. Users reported that they had to retry a few times before the connection got established.
- Alexa responds only when connected to the internet
Amazon Tap speaker is a must-have accessory for someone who loves to be on the move. Despite its drawbacks like non-availability of the hands-free option, it provides a multitude of features within its compact size. At the very least, it is definitely worth checking out!